The (Un)healthy Stats
As you know, there’s a wealth of evidence to show why brands, big or small, should help their employees with their fitness. We won’t bore you but here’s some key research from the CBI, NHS and others should you need some added motivation to get in touch.
Work absence at record low but still costs economy £14bn a year
The average absence rate in 2012 was 5.3 days, down from 6.5 days in 2010 – saving UK business £3 billion. But more can be done says the CBI (Confederation of British Industry).
1. CBI/Pfizer Absence and workplace health survey 2013. Confederation of British
Industry (CBI). Questioned 153 HR managers in organisations employing 850,000 people across the UK.
This is down to stronger staff engagement initiatives to foster employee health…
Neil Carberry, Director of Employment and Skills / CBI. Source: www.employeebenefits.co.uk
Did you know?
- The average total cost of each absent employee in 2012 was £975
- Stress, anxiety, depression, recovery from injury are amongst the leading causes of absence
- Average levels of absence climb within organisation size. While SME’s average under 5 days per employee, larger organisations average nearly 6 days
- The 6.9 days average absence in the public sector is significantly higher than the private sector’s of 4.9 days
- There’s a gap of more than 3 days a year between the best and worst performing organisations in terms of average absence
CBI/Pfizer Absence and workplace health survey 2013. Confederation of British Industry (CBI). Questioned 153 HR managers in organisations employing 850,000 people across the UK.
Say hello to a healthy & happy team
There is strong scientific evidence that – whatever their age – employees who do regularly exercise have a lower risk of many chronic diseases, such as:
- Heart disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- [Some] cancers
Research also shows that physical activity can also:
- Boost self-esteem and mood
- Improve sleep quality and energy levels
- Reduce the risk of stress and depression
- Benefits of exercise. www.nhs.uk/fitness